ChristianaCare, a top-rated academic medical center for more than a century, offers a full spectrum of mental and behavioral health services. The interdisciplinary team includes psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, psychologists, therapists, addiction specialists and counselors.
Backed by the medical system’s vast resources, the psychiatry residency program holds the majority of its rotations within the system.
Highlights of the program include:
- Inpatient psychiatry rotations that give residents experience in such areas as psychiatric emergency assessment, ECT/TMS therapy, forensic psychiatry, involuntary treatment, involuntary civil commitment, cognitive behavioral therapy and substance abuse assessment.
- Electives such as administrative chief resident, inpatient chief resident, consult/liaison chief resident, integrated care and neuromodulation.
The four-year schedule includes:
- Year One
- Six blocks of adult inpatient psychiatry
- Two blocks of family medicine inpatient
- Two blocks of internal medicine inpatient
- Two blocks of neurology inpatient and outpatient
- Year Two
- Four blocks of consult/liaison service
- Three blocks of adult inpatient psychiatry
- Two blocks of child/adolescent psychiatry
- One block of geriatric psychiatry
- One block of addiction medicine
- Year Three
- 11 blocks of outpatient psychiatry
- One day a week at the outpatient community clinic for the entire year
- Year Four
- Six blocks of electives to pursue training in specialized areas
- Five blocks of outpatient psychiatry