ChristianaCare, a top-rated academic medical center for more than a century, offers a full spectrum of mental and behavioral health services. The interdisciplinary team includes psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, psychologists, therapists, addiction specialists and counselors.
Backed by the medical system’s vast resources, the psychiatry residency program holds the majority of its rotations within the system.
Highlights of the program include:
- Inpatient psychiatry rotations that give residents experience in such areas as psychiatric emergency assessment, ECT/TMS therapy, forensic psychiatry, involuntary treatment, involuntary civil commitment, cognitive behavioral therapy and substance abuse assessment.
- Electives such as administrative chief resident, inpatient chief resident, consult/liaison chief resident, integrated care and neuromodulation.
The four-year schedule includes:
- Year One
- Six months of adult inpatient psychiatry
- Two months of family medicine inpatient
- Two months of internal medicine inpatient
- Two months of neurology inpatient and outpatient
- Year Two
- Four months of consult/liaison service
- Three months of adult inpatient psychiatry
- Two months of child/adolescent psychiatry
- One month of geriatric psychiatry
- One month of addiction medicine
- Year Three
- 11 months of outpatient psychiatry
- One day a week at the outpatient community clinic for the entire year
- Year Four
- Six months of electives to pursue training in specialized areas
- Five months of outpatient psychiatry