ChristianaCare’s residency programs value work-life balance, and our residents frequently comment on how much there is to do in Wilmington and Delaware, all within a two-hour drive. Spend the morning touring the renowned Winterthur museum on Delaware’s northern tip, and in less than two hours you can be strolling along Bethany Beach, named one of the “Best Secret Beaches on Earth” by Travel + Leisure magazine.
|Delaware: in the middle of it all
|New York, NY
10 reasons you’ll love living in Delaware
- Delaware is home to world-renowned museums, theaters and cultural institutions.
- Delaware’s beautiful beaches are ranked first in the nation in water quality.
- Wilmington Riverfront is filled with restaurants, shops, galleries, theaters and nightlife.
- Downtown Wilmington is recognized as the It City Next Door, for its new and exciting restaurants.
- Music festivals like the Firefly Music Festival, the Peoples’ Festival and the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, the largest free jazz festival on the East Coast.
- Relatively low property tax rates and housing costs make Delaware an affordable place to live.
- Housing options vary from quaint tree-lined neighborhoods of row houses to modern riverfront condos.
- Shopping in Delaware is tax-free.
- Delaware has 17 State Parks, ranging from the urban network of parks and trails of Wilmington State Park to historic sites such as Fort Delaware State Park and Fort DuPont State Park to the seaside Cape Henlopen, Delaware Seashore State Park and others.
- The University of Delaware, located in New Castle County, is a lauded research university that has been labeled one of the “public Ivies.”
- Delaware is home to the international headquarters for DuPont and the U.S. headquarters of pharmaceutical maker AstraZeneca. Bank of America and Chase operate financial centers here. Wilmington is also an internationally known center for corporate law because of this concentration of corporate offices.
Beaches and state parks
Delaware has vast stretches of shoreline and 17 State Parks, ranging from the urban network of parks and trails of Wilmington State Park to historic sites such as Fort Delaware State Park and Fort du Pont State Park to the seaside Cape Henlopen, Delaware Seashore State Park and others.
Visit Delaware beaches or state parks
Your money goes farther in Delaware, where shopping is tax-free. Christiana Mall features retailers like Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Apple and Abercrombie & Fitch. You’ll also find great outlet shopping and numerous historic main streets lined with local merchants.
Art, music and nightlife
There is always something to do in Delaware. The First State has a thriving cultural scene ranging from live theater, music festivals and world-renowned museums to amazing restaurants, brew-pubs and nightclubs.
Browse upcoming events
Sports and recreation
Whether you want to hike urban greenways, go mountain biking, hit the links or take in an NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS or NCAA game, opportunities for outdoor fun abound in Delaware. Hike the Delaware Outdoor Trail or the Delaware Geocaching Trail, or grab your discs and head to one of the State Parks’ disc golf courses.