Almost half of our residents in recent years have pursued subspecialty fellowship training after completing the program. We encourage residents to undertake appropriate research projects with subspecialty mentors, and our residents have had extraordinary success in obtaining fellowship positions at prestigious institutions throughout the country.
Our cardiology, sports medicine, pallative care and quality and safety fellowships have been a huge success and frequently take our own residents for their subspecialty training. To help our residents with their fellowship match, our residents work one-on-one with subspecialists and build mentor relationships that result in fellowship matches across the country.
Christiana Care Health System has had an active hospitalist service since 1996. Residents gain rich experience in the field of hospitalist medicine through both a hospitalist rotation as well as frequent contact with faculty hospitalists while on the inpatient service. As a result many of our graduating residents choose hospital medicine as their future career. These residents are well versed inpatient quality and safety and hospital administration, making them highly competitive hospitalist positions throughout the country.
Primary-care training and career opportunities
The Department of Medicine provides outstanding training for residents who choose primary care after residency. Post-residency professional opportunities flourish locally and throughout the country, in group practices, Christiana Care’s primary-care network and HMOs. The residency is designed to expose residents to multiple experiences to help prepare for a career in primary care.
- Each resident assumes responsibility for his or her own patients in the Wilmington Adult Medicine (WAM) office.
- Elective rotations in medical and non-medical subspecialties offer ample opportunity for outpatient experiences.
- Our residents have an opportunity to participate in a pilot program to change the way care is delivered. These residents will be in a setting that incentivizes keeping patients out of the office and the hospital through intensive multidisciplinary and panel management.
- All residents will receive an organized curriculum in population health.
- The WAM, the site of our resident clinic, is a level III patient centered medical home embedded health guides, behavioral health consultants, pharmacy and care managers.