Each year we have our residents present their work at our annual Resident Research Symposium. This year, on March 21, 2018, we held our Annual Resident Research Symposium. This provides a forum where senior residents present their three year research projects to an audience of their peers and attending physicians, often in advance of a larger national meeting invitation. Residents demonstrate their understanding of the concept of research, the clinically relevant research question, research design, and statistical analysis of the body of literature. The visiting professor critiques each presentation relative to research methods and impact on patient care and, with designated faculty, will vote on the best research/presentation. Dr. Karin Blakemore also provided oversight and presented “When Whole Blood is Best”: Maternal Hemorrhage and Neonatal Cardiopulmonary Bypass.”
Residents who presented their work include:
Dr. Kristen Kapalka – “Characteristics Predicting Confirmation of Suspected Fetal Anomalies Upon Referral for Maternal Fetal Medicine Ultrasound”
- Dr. Jhenette Lauder – “Assessment of the Implementation of Antenatal Corticosteroids in the Late Preterm Period.”
- Dr. Meagan Cramer – “A Retrospective Study Reviewing the Risks Related to Recurrence of Stress Incontinence Following Revision of Midurethral Sling.”
- Dr. Chelsea Kebodeaux – “Experience with Intrauterine Device Insertion in Never Sexually Active Adolescents: A Retrospective
- Dr. Megan Madrigal – “Professionalism and Wellbeing in Residents: the effect of Altruism.”
- Dr. Stefanie Parks – “Anemia and Relationships to Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes.”
Winner of the William G. Slate, M.B., Ch.B, MS, Resident Research Award Chelsea Kebodeaux, M.D.
Next year’s research day will be on April 3rd, 2019. Residents have been hard at work with a number of great projects underway! Dr. Nancy Chescheire, Editor-in-Chief of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Professor and Director of prenatal diagnosis at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, will be our guest speaker. Please mark your calendars and block your schedule for what is sure to be a great talk, and great day of resident projects!