ChristianaCare’s four-year Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency is an accredited, independent program that prepares residents for every aspect of delivering health care for women. Residents gain the experience they will need to practice in obstetrics, gynecology and an array of subspecialties. The rigorous academic program, conference schedule, practical experience and regular feedback also prepare residents to successfully compete for fellowship opportunities.
Some highlights of the program:
- Rotations in both inpatient and outpatient obstetrics and gynecology.
- Extensive experience in both routine and high-risk obstetrics and general gynecology.
- Very high rates of fellowship placement.
- Experience with a gynecologic oncology tumor board.
- Obstetrics and gynecology pathology conference
- Endocrine, genetic and gynecologic lectures.
- Neonatology/perinatology combined conference.
- Resident call generally utilized only on weekends as resident’s work a night float system.
Residents have an array of opportunities for subspecialty training:
- The Division of Gynecologic Oncology performs radical and ultra-radical pelvic surgery (including gastrointestinal and urinary-tract surgical procedures), as well as its own chemotherapy. Residents learn all the basic colposcopic techniques, including colposcopy, biopsies, LEEP procedures and laser surgery.
- Residents have multicenter study opportunities with both the Gynecologic Oncology Group and Gynecologic Studies Group.
- Reproductive Endocrinology is active in assisted reproductive technology and evaluating and treating male and female infertility problems.
- The Maternal-Fetal Medicine service employs all the invasive and non-invasive techniques for surveillance and treatment of high-risk pregnancies. Residents receive extensive training in ultrasound, genetics and Doppler technology.
- Our affiliation with Pennsylvania’s Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University offers residents both teaching and fellowship opportunities.
- An integrated program with the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children offers experience in pediatric and adolescent gynecology.
- Experience in geriatric consultation takes place at the Riverside Campus.
- The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has a representative on the state task force for rape and domestic violence and participates in follow-up care and evaluation for these patients.
- The Department also participates in phase III drug trials and other educational efforts.