Christiana Care’s combined Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine Residency Program brings together the best elements of two innovative, rigorous programs. Residents gain experience in general emergency care, general medicine, observation medicine, intensive care and/or subspecialty care.
The Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine residency combines the best elements of our nationally recognized Emergency and Internal Medicine residency programs. Residents gain a unique experience in both inpatient and outpatient practice.
Highlights of the current curriculum include:
- Strong academic curriculum with extensive experience in the Emergency Department.
- Staff interacts closely with all other clinical departments and with county and state emergency networks.
- Four-week orientation, including lectures, procedure labs and a limited number of Emergency Department shifts.
- Monthly mock-oral boards cases and ultrasound conferences.
- Monthly orthopedic conferences facilitated by orthopedic attendings.
- Monthly M&M and 72 hour return review conferences.
- Various multidisciplinary conferences with the trauma team, intensive care team, cardiology, and internal medicine.
- Critical Care Conference quarterly with the intensive care team.
- Patient Follow-Up conference where follow-up cases are reviewed in a small-group format.
- Integrated, longitudinal simulation curriculum to further develop procedural skills and leadership skills.
A unique feature of Christiana Care’s Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine residency is the month-long orientation for new interns. Orientation includes:
- Procedure labs.
- Limited number of Emergency Department shifts.
- Orientation to the hospital system and ED process.
- Social activities to build greater relationships and team identity.